Forgot password?
As of today, this forum will no longer be accepting new posts.

There are now many forums and wikis where consumers can discuss different aspects of technology, including Internet Radio, and as such we feel the requirement for our own branded forum has ended. If you would like to continue discussing Reciva related products we would recommend you try the following page:

http://www.reciva-users.wikispot.org/

For stations maintenance, please send an email to addstation@reciva.com

We will endeavour to make a copy of these forums available for historical review and we thank you for your feedback over the past 5 years.

Advanced

Grace Radio Problem

Posted by jbala 
Grace Radio Problem
January 31, 2009 02:42PM
I just bought a Grace wireless internet radio and have Verizon FIOS for internet access. The radio is no more than 30 feet from the access point. I set up 4 stations in the presets and listened to all of them fine. Later in the day I started to listen to one of the stations and 5 minutes later it just dropped right out. The display said "connecting" but it never did connect, and the other preset stations did the same thing. I lose connection a couple of times while I was setting them up in the presets. Is this a problem with the internet? Or is this a problem with this brand of radio? If so then can you recommend a better radio since I'm still within my time limit to return the Grace radio. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim
Re: Grace Radio Problem
January 31, 2009 03:24PM
Can you access the internet from a PC when your radio has lost the connection?
January 31, 2009 03:28PM
Have not tried that but I will. I've not had any problems connecting to the internet from a PC. Let me say that the Grace is the only wireless unit I have. The PC's are all connected to the router via cable.

Jim

Post edited by: jbala, at: 2009/01/31 16:09
February 01, 2009 02:35AM
I just got a Grace radio and connected without the problems you've noted. While I have a cable arrangement, it really makes little difference once you have the wireless access point in the loop. One of the features you can access on the radio is wifi strength. If you go to settings and scroll to the bottom to wifi strength and select that it continually updates the % of the strength. Mine goes between about 85% and 70% and haven't had any problems.

It sounds like either there's a problem with your intenet connection or the wireless access point which you've not noticed before since you have wired access of all pc's.
February 01, 2009 01:29PM
Thanks for the info. Originally, in order to get the radio to work with Verizon FIOS, I had to change the configuration in the radio to a static IP address and give it the gateway, mask, etc. And then I had to make a change in the router's firewall to allow one host full access to the internet. I did make one mistake in that I gave the radio an address that had been used by my son's Wii although it was inactive. Yesterday I gave it a completely different IP address and reset the presets to stations I was interested in. I listened to them all for a while and it seemed to be OK. Last night we listened to one station for a while and it was OK but then later started to drop out again. My wired internet connection does not seem to be an issue since I have no problems getting on. I will check the signal strength but can't believe that is the problem since the access point is less than 30 feet away and the radio claims to be able to operate within 300 feet. I'm to the point where I have to make a decision whether or not to keep the radio and I'm leaning towards sending it back and looking for a different brand. I'll let you know on the signal strength.

Jim
February 01, 2009 01:59PM
I checked my wifi strength on the radio and it varied between 87 & 89 %. But that is at this moment. Perhaps it dies at some point? Or perhaps it just the traffic on the internet?

Jim
February 01, 2009 04:52PM
Your signal strength sounds fine. Just one other thought - how crowded are the wifi airwaves in your area? Could it be that the channel you're using is not entirely free from interfering signals from a neighbour's wifi router?
February 01, 2009 06:46PM
I only saw a couple of other networks when I went to set up the Grace. The point is moot anyway since I'm sending it back to the vendor. If you could recommend a better radio I would appreciate it. Thanks for all the help to everyone.

Jim
February 01, 2009 10:06PM
Actually- I have the same problem with TWO Grace radios since we moved. Bought a new router- took it back and went back to the Linksys WRT54G that worked flawlesly. Changed encryption to WPA. Set static ip and gateway on both radios with no IP address conflicts. Wifi strenght in the 70's to 80's. Changed channel to one extreme- then another. Still same problems... both radios can be coaxed to connect- play a while- they they drop the wifi connection with either buffering or "connecting". I then have to turn it off then on again to get a signal back... sometimes several times

All of my neighbors have wifi routers in close proximity- but other wireless devices like my squeezeboxes work ok. Would a particular router work better. Any way to get both of these back again? Thanks. John
February 02, 2009 08:05PM
Hi:

You may want to check your cordless phones as I ran into a similar problem when I moved my Grace Internet Radio from the family room to the bedroom. I worked flawlessly in the family room. When I pickedup a Revo Mondo for the family room I moved the Grace to the bedroom and everything 'looked fine' with good signal strength but I couldn't connect.

I then noticed it was sitting next to my cordless phone, a 2.4GHz model which is the same frequency that wireless Internet uses. I swapped it with another cordelss phone (a 5.8 GHz) model and everything started working immediately.

Hope this helps,

Lee
February 03, 2009 11:06PM
I'm not sure this is going to be what you want to hear, but I up'ed sharpfin and brought the USB outside the rear of the unit, added a USB thumb drive and popped the WiFi module in it and I couldn't move move then 30 feet or so or I'd get no connection. Had a cheap 802.11g so I popped that in on a lark and now I can practically go next door and it's fine.

I guess it just is up to you as to how much you want to do. I personally adore this radio - just bought a Pico rechargeable that I'll have be the end of the week, so I'll see.
January 28, 2011 08:05PM
I have had my Grace for nearly a year with no problems until recently. I listen to a station out of Michigan in the A.M.. Worked everyday up until about three weeks ago. I get a message "this stream is currently unavailable please wait as it should reset in afew minutes ". My wireless connection is fine as I can stream many other stations, including Pandora. I went to the stations website to see if they had streaming turned on and it works fine from my PC. This station is syndicated, so I looked up other stations (call names) that may stream it and NONE of them work. One other note; my radio will randomly turn on by itself. Hope this is an update issue being worked on. Any input would be appreciated. BTW, the stations in question are any from The Free Beer and Hotwings Show i.e; WWBN, WGRD, WBUZ, or any other listed on their site found here, http://www.freebeerandhotwings.com/stationfinder?action=allStations
January 28, 2011 08:33PM
mchown
I have had my Grace for nearly a year with no problems until recently. I listen to a station out of Michigan in the A.M.. Worked everyday up until about three weeks ago. I get a message "this stream is currently unavailable please wait as it should reset in afew minutes ". My wireless connection is fine as I can stream many other stations, including Pandora. I went to the stations website to see if they had streaming turned on and it works fine from my PC. This station is syndicated, so I looked up other stations (call names) that may stream it and NONE of them work. One other note; my radio will randomly turn on by itself. Hope this is an update issue being worked on. Any input would be appreciated. BTW, the stations in question are any from The Free Beer and Hotwings Show i.e; WWBN, WGRD, WBUZ, or any other listed on their site found here, http://www.freebeerandhotwings.com/stationfinder?action=allStations
Yes I got the same "this stream is currently ..... few minutes" message when I try WGRD as I type this.

I don't think anything has gone faulty with your Grace or network connection.

On a PC I tried the Listen Live link on the WGRD web site. It plays OK but I notice that it appears to be using "Stream the World". You will find lots about that if you search this forum.

Try contacting the stations and letting them know that you cannot listen to them on your internet radio.

Logik IRMA1, Vistron MX-200i, Imp Adapt and unlabelled version of A-Team IR1320 all running v257-a-865-a-476 plus Sharpfin Enhancement Pack 2 and connected wirelessly to a BTHomeHub 2B. A second Imp Adapt and two BT Internet radios have flakey Barracuda modules.
January 29, 2011 07:40AM
The situation is very different for the stations. WGRD, WWBN, WPXC, WHXR, KZRV, WLKZ, WQBK/WQBJ, WWYY and WOZZ are streamed by StreamTheWorld and I found only the AAC+ v2 streams which currently do not work on the radios.

WBUZ is also a STW station but provides an additional MP3 stream 32k mono (which the other STW may provide too - AFAK the must pay an additional fee for it). The station has not been on the database. Added. Will take 2 days to be completed.

WCHR is also a STW station but providing a 64k stereo MP3 stream too. Station updated for this stream. Will take 2 days to reappear.

WKZQ is also a STW station providing a 32k mono MP3 stream. Station updated. Will take 2 days to reappear.

KDZA is OK. It is AAC+ but v1 which the radios will play.

WQLZ updated. Will take 2 days to reappear. 128k MP3.

WZOR is a Liquid Compass station. Updated (48k MP3). Will take 2 days to reappear.

WMYK, WIRX, WJZJ, WGFM, KRWN, KROG, WXBN/WXNB not on the database and no suitable streams found.

EDIT Jan 30: Translatius has found URLs for WMYK, WIRX and WGFM. Stations added. Will take 2 days to be completed.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 09:08AM by wdgerber.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.