Forgot password?
As of today, this forum will no longer be accepting new posts.

There are now many forums and wikis where consumers can discuss different aspects of technology, including Internet Radio, and as such we feel the requirement for our own branded forum has ended. If you would like to continue discussing Reciva related products we would recommend you try the following page:

http://www.reciva-users.wikispot.org/

For stations maintenance, please send an email to addstation@reciva.com

We will endeavour to make a copy of these forums available for historical review and we thank you for your feedback over the past 5 years.

Advanced

Aldi - Tevion Internet Radio

Posted by richardturton 
Aldi - Tevion Internet Radio
August 16, 2007 04:46PM
Just got back from my Aldi store with my radio, set up and running in less than 5 minutes including entering network key and registering the radio with Reciva..

Sound quality OK (I have only tried Radio 4 at the moment) from 2 small oval speakers.

Separate 9 volt 1200 mA power supply so no hum.

All push button operation, no wheels or knobs.

Very bright blue two line display.

Headphone socket, no other outputs.

All black, 220mm X 100mm X100mm, fairly heavy considering the PSU is external.
Re: Aldi - Tevion Internet Radio -PS
August 16, 2007 04:50PM
BTW my store only had 6
August 16, 2007 06:35PM
I just got one no sleep timer wanted it for bedroom so has to go back
Re: Aldi - Tevion Internet Radio
August 16, 2007 07:01PM
I bought one also. Mainly for my wife to use in kitchen. Very impressed so far
August 16, 2007 07:02PM
I bought one also. Mainly for my wife to use in kitchen. Very impressed so far
August 16, 2007 07:06PM
Hi

got one this morning too - smaller and lighter than I imagined but feels like a sturdy piece of kit nonetheless.

Sound quality isn't as good as the Logik IR100 imho (despite the latter's hum). And the Tevion doesn't have a scroll wheel, instead you have to scroll through menus using arrow keys.

Overall I have to say that I'd rate it like this (Logik's ratings in brackets).

Appearance 8 (7)
Sound 6 (8)
Build quality 8 (8)
VFM 8 (10 cos I paid £50 for it).

Total: Tevion 30 and it's stereo, but annoying menu use.
Logik 33 but has annoying hum at very low volumes, with great scroll wheel.

All of the above just an opinion of course winking smiley ! I'd be interested to see what others think.
August 16, 2007 07:07PM
My local store had 'about 15'. They were a bit wary about giving out the exact figure!
August 16, 2007 07:15PM
I already have a Logik but decided to move it from bedroom to kitchen and get a 'better quality' radio for the bedroom. Hence I was queueing at Aldi before they opened this morning.

Have to say I am disappointed and the Logik will be staying in the bedroom - the Tevion will be going back to Aldi!

Sound quality is much worse (IMHO) on the Aldi radio, despite it being stereo. Much less bass.
Ergonomics are not as good (no scroll wheel) and I don't like the appearance as much as the Logik.

Logik is a much better buy at £50 and I think I'll be getting another.....
August 16, 2007 07:20PM
I bought one today from my local Aldi, all started well, did all the usual things. Got myself a new stream channel and found out that I had to power off and on for it to download. Well that's when my problem started - the problem is, I get "Initialising nework" when I try to use the WiFi radio. I have spoken to the help desk and they say I have a faulty set, but I know someone else who has had the same problems today.

I was just wondering if anyone can say if they have powered it off and then on again and it works all OK please.

Also, Aldi are only giving 30 day refunds now, so better to get these problems sorted out now before the 30 day period runs out.
August 16, 2007 07:31PM
Yes, mine worked OK. Have you got security key set up etc? Have you tried rebooting your wireless router in case the problem is with router?
August 16, 2007 07:46PM
cameron

"Initialising nework"
This is the usual response after switching the power off and then on, however it should progress to do just that. I assume from your post that the radio just hangs with that display? It does not sound right to me. The display should either change to No Networks found or Initialising Network after a few seconds. If leaving the power off for several minutes and trying again does not help I would take it back.
Be intersted to hear if any one has had a different experience.
I move my Logik IR100 several times per day and have not had a problem which wasn't solved by recycling the power, but do leave it off for 10 seconds or so to let components fully power down.
August 16, 2007 08:03PM
microstar wrote:

Yes, mine worked OK. Have you got security key set up etc? Have you tried rebooting your wireless router in case the problem is with router?

Ha-ha, I was waiting for that from the help-desk as well :woohoo: , they always try and make it your fault not theirs, but thanks for trying anyway.

All I get is the words Initialising network and not the little twiddling symbol, it just seems to hang which is what someone else said, maybe I have got a duff onesad smiley . AND I have just shut the whole system down and still no change so the screwdriver is coming out now, what have I got to lose, it's on its way back to Aldi's anyway.

I wonder if there is a bad batch???:whistle:

It's a shame really 'cos I have been looking at getting a wifi set for some months now, but I will bear with it....
August 16, 2007 08:06PM
manksman wrote:

cameron

"Initialising nework"
This is the usual response after switching the power off and then on, however it should progress to do just that. I assume from your post that the radio just hangs with that display? It does not sound right to me. The display should either change to No Networks found or Initialising Network after a few seconds. If leaving the power off for several minutes and trying again does not help I would take it back.
Be intersted to hear if any one has had a different experience.
I move my Logik IR100 several times per day and have not had a problem which wasn't solved by recycling the power, but do leave it off for 10 seconds or so to let components fully power down.

Done all that as well, powered it down for a good five minutes and then put the cord back in and still nothing, and left it try and sort itself out for a good 20 minutes and still nothing.

One Q I do have and it might be annoying to me later on but there is no back up power in the way of a battery and therefore if you power down you seem to lose everything, is that about right???
August 16, 2007 08:13PM
The back is off now and there are some pieces of metal bars on the bottom at the front which gives the weighted appearance, 2 PCB's and 2 speakers. When I power it on there is a green light flashing inside but still hanging...sad smiley
August 16, 2007 09:11PM
Still no change - there is a Ralink USB2 wlan chipset in there Code RT2501U, the driver date was 04/01/07 Ver 3.0.2.0 having done a driver update this upgraded it to 04/01/07 ver 3.0.0.2, but still hanging. Well nothing gained nothing lost. Aldi's tomorrow :laugh:
August 16, 2007 09:40PM
I got one of these too! Sound quality is good with external output to hi fi. Reciva web site is brilliant, you can configure new stations, streams etc and they will be transferred to your radio. Worth registering as a new user and also register serial no. of radio. AND it is all free, no subscription whatsoever
August 16, 2007 10:30PM
Can't comment on the comparison with other brands, but I find the sound quality remarkably good for such a small unit - on the higher-bitrate stations, of course. The electronic bass & treble controls each have a wide range - BUT... the radio 'forgets' these settings whenever you switch it off, which is something that needs rectifying in a firmware update, methinks ...
August 16, 2007 10:32PM
I've got a similar problem of unexpected re-booting when I try to tune in some stations. No pattern in it - some are fine, some cause a shutdown and re-boot. If the radio then finds its way back to the station, it plays fine, but if it stops at 'stations' and I have to tune it manually, it goes back into the same loop. Fortunately this doesn't affect that many stations so far.
August 17, 2007 09:44AM
I've decided to take mine back. There's much to like about it but much more to dislike.

I tried the Logik IR100 and the Tevion side by side and soundwise there is no comparison at all - Logik beats it hands down.

Using the menus is hard work on the Tevion compared to the Logik. No scroll wheel and only a two line display on the Tevion compared to the wheel and 4 line display on Logik. I also find the menus are very slow and not always responsive to pushes on the button.

The Logik Hum is only heard before it tunes in. If I'm more than 4 feet away it's not heard and it doesn't come from the speaker - it's form the unit itself. Once the volume is up any higher than 'night-time-listening-with-your-partner-asleep-beside-you' volume you can't hear it at all.

There's no stereo on the Logik but I'm listening to it as I walk around or work so that's not an issue. There's no base or treble control either but no matter how hard I fiddle with the Tevion's tone controls I can't make it sound half as good as the Logik.

I'm no DSG fan by any means, but at £50 the Logik is actually a VERY good radio with good sound.

No contest.

All just opnions of course!:lol:

Post edited by: edward2910, at: 2007/08/17 10:47
August 17, 2007 10:00AM
cameron
As far as I know none of the reciva radios (apart from the battery powered unit) have battery backup. When you use the standby button that is all it is. The audio is turned off and the radio stops sending wifi signal, but the board is still powered up and using a significant amount of power. I move my radio around a lot so am very aware of having to do station updates everytime if I want to listen to other stations (non preset). The presets are stored in the flash memory rather than ram.
Are you able to take your radio back?
Sites of interest which may be of some help:
http://sharpfin.zevv.nl/index.php/Main_Page
http://logikir100.tripod.com/Logik.htm
http://internetradiohack.blogspot.com/
August 17, 2007 11:08AM
Just to say about the sound quality, this can be improved a lot by as the manual says by holding down the select button for a few secs and then stepping up the bass and treble to +6. Beware though when you turn off the radio settings are NOT stored which I have mentioned to Tevion when I called the 08000 no.

The lock up 'issue' has to be fixed asap IMO with a firmware update along with the bass / treble problem. If you press the select button quickly twice sometimes you can bypass the 'update' message which I am getting quite often, bit annoying really

Wi-fi range is not as good as my AE certainly on the patio at the end of the garden. Then again my router is on the floor under the desk !

Post edited by: wifiradiofan, at: 2007/08/17 12:09
August 17, 2007 04:34PM
manksman wrote:

cameron
As far as I know none of the reciva radios (apart from the battery powered unit) have battery backup. When you use the standby button that is all it is. The audio is turned off and the radio stops sending wifi signal, but the board is still powered up and using a significant amount of power. I move my radio around a lot so am very aware of having to do station updates everytime if I want to listen to other stations (non preset). The presets are stored in the flash memory rather than ram.
Are you able to take your radio back?
Sites of interest which may be of some help:
http://sharpfin.zevv.nl/index.php/Main_Page
http://logikir100.tripod.com/Logik.htm
http://internetradiohack.blogspot.com/

Took it back after lunch time and they were still able to exchange it for me. Home now, set it up OK, registered it OK, turned it off and back on and ...... YES. Even got my stream working so maybe I did have a faulty one. I was looking forward to using the refund to buy the Logik but heyhoe, I am happy with this as long as it behaves itself. Now I can do some exploring and checking out some of these sites. Thanks Manksman
August 17, 2007 05:27PM
Just a silly update, but something that works. A few weeks ago i purchased a set of laptop speakers (also Tevion) from Aldi and have connected them to the IR, I have separate volume, base and treble controls on them and the sound/stereo sound out of them is quite amazing now. I think the speakers in the radio are to close together to listen to it in stereo but with the add-ons I have a very good system now. Not very practical for the bedside cabinet but for the garden or office or any other room they are just perfect and quality listening as well, for such a basic radio.
August 17, 2007 05:27PM
Just a silly update, but something that works. A few weeks ago i purchased a set of laptop speakers (also Tevion) from Aldi and have connected them to the IR, I have separate volume, base and treble controls on them and the sound/stereo sound out of them is quite amazing now. I think the speakers in the radio are to close together to listen to it in stereo but with the add-ons I have a very good system now. Not very practical for the bedside cabinet but for the garden or office or any other room they are just perfect and quality listening as well, for such a basic radio.
August 17, 2007 10:12PM
Has anybody tried to tune into any of the BBC "listen again" streams on this radio? I get the option, but no list of streams, yet the manual indicates they should be there.

Or are we down to router brands. But then again, Netgear (mine) is one of the most popular of the lot ...
August 17, 2007 10:20PM
tonfoster wrote:

Has anybody tried to tune into any of the BBC "listen again" streams on this radio? I get the option, but no list of streams, yet the manual indicates they should be there.

Or are we down to router brands. But then again, Netgear (mine) is one of the most popular of the lot ...

Hi

I tried listen again with my Tevion too and couldn't get it to list any programmes or play any listen again programmes.

My Logik IR100 works perfectly with the same router (also a netgear) so I suspect it's the Tevion. However I believe that BBC was having some problems with listen again recently so it could be them.

I'd say take your Tevion back and back a Logik!

regards

E:silly:
August 18, 2007 01:43AM
I have recently purchased a Tevion to add to my collection of internet radios and am fairly impressed.

Something that I have not seen mentioned is the fact that the Tevion also has FM radio and FM stations can also be stored in the 10 presets.

The lack of a sleep timer is a bit disapointing and this has stopped me using it in the bedroom. I have noticed that when internet radio mode is selected or switched on, it sits for about 20 seconds displaying " Internet radio " before bursting into life.

Perhaps these quirks will be fixed with a firmware update in the future. This was certainly the cheapest of my internet radios and the two speakers and FM band seem a nice touch for the price. The FM radio also works very well.

So far I am happy with the tevion, but roll on that firmware upgrade.
August 18, 2007 01:44AM
I see the double posting problem still haunts us.

Post edited by: andfren, at: 2007/08/18 02:46
August 18, 2007 09:25AM
I bought my Aldi Tevion on Thursday. Aldi fans will know that Tevion / Medion prodicts can be a bit hit and miss. You either bag a bargain or a nightmare. The first set I bought went back to the shop within an hour because its LCD display filled with little squares and what looked like cyrillic and chinese characters. I gave Tevion the benefit of the doubt and got a replacement set. This one works, sort of. When it works it's great, excellent sound quality and range of stations. However, it hangs a lot and crashes, particularly when receiving station updates from Reciva. I don't know whether this is a problem with my set, or a more general issue. I'm in two minds as to whether to take it back to Aldi. I'm new to internet radio, and maybe these glitches can be sorted out through a firmware update? There are also some other oddities, e.g. losing bass and treble settings when you switch the set off. Any advice gratefully received. Motanash

Post edited by: motanash, at: 2007/08/18 10:29
August 18, 2007 10:24AM
[Tevion from Aldi. Bought two days ago, easy to set up, works like a dream so far. Not bad from someone who can remember days before television. !
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.