Forgot password?
As of today, this forum will no longer be accepting new posts.

There are now many forums and wikis where consumers can discuss different aspects of technology, including Internet Radio, and as such we feel the requirement for our own branded forum has ended. If you would like to continue discussing Reciva related products we would recommend you try the following page:

http://www.reciva-users.wikispot.org/

For stations maintenance, please send an email to addstation@reciva.com

We will endeavour to make a copy of these forums available for historical review and we thank you for your feedback over the past 5 years.

Advanced

BBC Radio 4 listen again - not everything listed

Posted by digitaltoast 
BBC Radio 4 listen again - not everything listed
January 26, 2009 11:19PM
I wonder if there is any reason why not all BBC listen again shows are listed by reciva?

I can, of course, manually add a stream by using the format (for example, Just a Minute)
rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/1830_mon.ra

However, I wonder why new listen again items don't always appear on their own?
Re: BBC Radio 4 listen again - not everything listed
January 27, 2009 01:13AM
I just checked and On Demand shows Just a Minute for 25 Jan - seems up-to-date to me!
Re: BBC Radio 4 listen again - not everything listed
January 27, 2009 08:00AM
castalla wrote:

I just checked and On Demand shows Just a Minute for 25 Jan - seems up-to-date to me!
Even if the list looks as if it's up-to-date, often if you try to listen to something (yesterday's Afternoon Play, for example, which I tried to hear at 6 this morning) it has an empty stream, or says stream ended without playing anything..
And another thing, "My Stuff" updates far more slowly than if I take the long Location or Search route round. It seems to take at least 12 hours. Mind you, when I do find stuff the long way round, as I said, even if it's listed, the stream is empty :-(
Re: BBC Radio 4 listen again - not everything liste
January 27, 2009 11:35AM
Note that the example URL you give is in the old format; the current format is

rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4fmcoyopa/radio_4_fm_-_monday_1830.ra

You might find this has better quality audio than the old URL, as it is directly encoded rather than transcoded.

There's a variation which I think only works in the UK, which is

rtsp://rm-acl.bbc.co.uk/radio4fmcoyopa/radio_4_fm_-_monday_1830.ra

Also you might want to add the converter feeds to your MyPodcasts

http://www.iplayerconverter.co.uk/reciva_instructions.aspx

Post edited by: ronanflood, at: 2009/01/27 11:46
January 27, 2009 12:11PM
Ronanflood - HUGE thank you for that info - I certainly wish I'd known about that site before.

I'm going to get blogging and digging right now!

I'm not sure I can work out how to use those RSS feeds in Reciva yet, but at least it shows what is available!

Is that your site? If so, great work!
January 27, 2009 12:43PM
Not mine, it's by a guy called adancy on this forum.
January 27, 2009 03:33PM
The podcast route is very usefull, but we are unable to use the start time, or use pause etc as under the listen again feature. The listen again program lists are just not updated often enough. Does this matter? Only when I would like to pick up from half way through an hour long program, eg most days I have to leave PM at 5.30pm but am often interested in hearing something in the second half. I can do this on the PC but have to wait a day before it is possible on the Reciva radio.
January 27, 2009 03:46PM

most days I have to leave PM at 5.30pm but am often interested in hearing something in the second half.
You can start it part-way through if you like, eg here's Monday's PM 30-minutes in (UK URL)

rtsp://rm-acl.bbc.co.uk/radio4fmcoyopa/radio_4_fm_-_monday_1700.ra?start=00:30:00

You could add a set of these to your MyStreams ...
January 27, 2009 05:51PM
As I understand it, Reciva radios update relative to Reciva's database dynamically (ie in real time) from My Stuff, and otherwise on a slow cycle basis. So, relative to Reciva's database, My Stuff should give the most up to date list of what's available. But Reciva's database itself seems to fall behind the BBC's iplayer list for some reason. So, if you want the most up to date list of BBC Listen Again broadcasts, the best solution is iplayerconverter that looks up iplayer directly every time you use it. The only problem then is that iplayerconverter plays the broadcasts as podcasts, meaning that you can't pause, FF or rewind - but that is less of a problem for me than not being able to listen at all to a recent broadcast.
January 28, 2009 11:59AM
The BBC altered something last summer with the on demand content and ever since then Reciva has lagged behind, PM used to update about ten minutes after going of air, which was just about perfect for me!
[ul]ronanflood [/ul]
Many thanks for that idea, I shall give it a try.
January 28, 2009 01:52PM
manksman wrote:

The BBC altered something last summer with the on demand content and ever since then Reciva has lagged behind, PM used to update about ten minutes after going of air, which was just about perfect for me!

Yes, that's been my complaint ever since the BBC suddenly converted to an "integrated" iplayer with little or no warning to Reciva, changing to .xml (or something, sorry, I don't retain information I don't really understand) and causing massive havoc at the same time. Is there no-one from Reciva who can be as helpful about remedying this poor system as the Reciva beta testing service has been about bricked radios?
January 28, 2009 11:36PM
If you post this as a beta wish-list item, it might get sorted. There are definitely many less material issues that are being resolved there. "It took 20 nanoseconds longer for my radio to start with the new firmware", "my doctor says my OCD is worse with the new firmware", and "when I look in the polished pianowood finish of my IR100, I'm sure I'm shorter and fatter with the new firmware."
January 29, 2009 08:40AM
majones wrote:

If you post this as a beta wish-list item, it might get sorted. There are definitely many less material issues that are being resolved there. "It took 20 nanoseconds longer for my radio to start with the new firmware", "my doctor says my OCD is worse with the new firmware", and "when I look in the polished pianowood finish of my IR100, I'm sure I'm shorter and fatter with the new firmware."

:-)) What a good idea, thank you, I'll go and do that now.
January 29, 2009 04:22PM
Looks like you've got pb's attention. I'll chip-in too.
February 02, 2009 10:40PM
Aha! Perfect example - I wanted to listen to Any Questions on Saturday afternoon, 2 hours after it had broadcast. It was NOT listed in the streams, nor via the radio, and iplayerconverter had the link showing, but "not available" to play. BUT, by manually adding a stream link "the old fashioned way", I was then able to play that stream via "my streams" on the Reciva.
February 03, 2009 10:50AM
I think the reason it wasn't available with iplayerconverter is that I cache the XML data I get from the BBC to avoid hammering their servers every time someone views a programme page on my site. It also means the pages load instantly instead of taking several seconds to load the data in real-time.

The cache is supposed to update hourly, but I've noticed this can sometimes mean a show isn't marked as available until several hours after broadcast. When I have some spare time (real life! Arrrrgggghhhhh!) I'll try to improve this.

Of course there's also the possibility that the XML feed from the BBC is lagging behind slightly as well - that would increase the delay further. In that circumstance accessing the relevant rstp:// stream directly would be the only option for the hour or two it takes for both my system and the Beeb's systems to update.

Andrew
February 06, 2009 05:53PM
Today's "Feedback" on Radio 4 had an interesting piece on how long it takes for the BBC to get a programme up and available on iplayer. The nice lady from the BBC said they aim to have it there within 30 mins of the end of the actual broadcast. I don't think realistically we can expect Reciva to do better than this. But there is no reason why they shouldn't achieve a response time that is close to this.
February 09, 2009 04:35PM
I wonder if some fixed entries for the very regular programs would help? After all PM Fri is always PM Friday except Christmas/new Year week, that way no updates would be needed. This is how it used to work.
I note that we can put a fixed entry in My Streams with the start time set, and this will play a few minutes after a program has finished - I use it most days at 6.15pm for playing PM from a 5.30 start time. If I had the time and energy I could set up a podcast list for every regular program with five minute start intervals so I could jump in where I want to.
I wonder if Reciva could add a separate "regular programs" listen again list to say BBC R4 with the fixed links in them, if they can't be added to the present list?

(first posted in beta testers - wishlist thread)
February 22, 2009 03:11PM
Here's the kind of thing I'm talking about:
It's 15:15 on Sunday afternoon, the Archer's omnibus edition finished at 11:15am, 5 hours ago.
On the Reciva website it offers:
Listen to Archers Omnibus - Sunday 22nd

But even though I have forced a "power cycle" refresh on the radio, it says the episode from Sunday 15th!
BUT, it's actually from the 22nd, although sometimes the actual episode will be "stale" too.

This kind of strange thing happens quite a bit on Radio 4 streams...
February 22, 2009 03:17PM
digitaltoast wrote:

Here's the kind of thing I'm talking about:
It's 15:15 on Sunday afternoon, the Archer's omnibus edition finished at 11:15am, 5 hours ago.
On the Reciva website it offers:
Listen to Archers Omnibus - Sunday 22nd

But even though I have forced a "power cycle" refresh on the radio, it says the episode from Sunday 15th!
BUT, it's actually from the 22nd, although sometimes the actual episode will be "stale" too.

This kind of strange thing happens quite a bit on Radio 4 streams...

Has anyone not in the UK managed to *hear* the on demand/listen again to R4's "Clare in the Community" of Wednesday 18th at 11.30 am? It's listed in Reciva and on iPlayer, but there's nothing in the stream on Reciva or from the iPlayer if you're trying from abroad.
February 22, 2009 04:01PM
We have had no updates since last tuesday. I am still waiting for parts 3,4,and 5 of a Miss Marple on BBC 7. All this weeks programmes are shown with last weeks data.
February 22, 2009 04:14PM
daddypete wrote:

We have had no updates since last tuesday. I am still waiting for parts 3,4,and 5 of a Miss Marple on BBC 7. All this weeks programmes are shown with last weeks data.

How interesting. The only "At Bertram's Hotel" I am missing here in Geneva is Part 5. The link on the Reciva portal is empty, though it shows the link as being there, it just doesn't connect. It sits on connecting in iPlayer, too. However, I have listened to all the earlier epis in Real Player and they show and are available on the Reciva Portal as well as via iPlayer. Very odd.

Post edited by: Gumrat, at: 2009/02/22 16:15
February 22, 2009 04:23PM
Gumrat wrote:

Has anyone not in the UK managed to *hear* the on demand/listen again to R4's "Clare in the Community" of Wednesday 18th at 11.30 am? It's listed in Reciva and on iPlayer, but there's nothing in the stream on Reciva or from the iPlayer if you're trying from abroad.
Gumrat - seems OK here. Might be a rights problem. Let me know if you want an mp3 of it.

Post edited by: digitaltoast, at: 2009/02/22 16:25
February 22, 2009 05:37PM
I am situated in the UK in Windermere, We have 3 BT Internet radios here, none of which have updated since tuesday. As has already been said this seems to happen every few months and does eventually get sorted. We just have to be patient.We also very rarely now see the message Reciving Update From Reciva although it does usually update with a de- power but the message is Stations. This started just before Christmas and I just assumed was a Reciva change.
February 23, 2009 11:45AM
I am having the same problem with BBC Radio 7, it hasnt updated the listen again since 17th February, Agatha Christie is showing latest episode on that date. I have 2 radios, a Logik from Currys plus a ebuyer radio. The ebuyer radio did a station update after disconnecting from the mains but it hasnt improved the situation. I must be lucky as I havent had this before and use the radios every day for the past 18 months.
February 23, 2009 12:46PM
I now notice quite a bit missing from Radio 4 - Clare in the Community is the latest, although again, it appears in the website
February 23, 2009 06:44PM
Yes, thanks, digitaltoast, I'd love an MP3 copy, please - how would you manage that?
My email address is easily guessable at gmail dot com, if that's any help..
February 24, 2009 09:43AM
Some of my BBC7 programmes are showing as Tuesday 11th. Some of the regular shows are recent but the data is not updating.None of my data is newer than the 17th. New shows are not listed but are sometimes to be found under an old program title. This is probably the most difficulty we have had since last July (2008) when the listen again almost disappeared. The Archers still havn't been updated since last week.Why can't Auntie leave things alone and leave us to enjoy their programmes in peace? For a while now the data was sometimes coming in before the program, and when you tried to listen the stream was empty, but was usually OK the following day. It seems we are all getting similar problems but not all at the same time, It appears to be our turn at present.
February 24, 2009 07:56PM
also having problems with updating Radio 4 - Clare in the Community (which won't play even from BBC's own website). America Liberty, which plays OK from iplayer and from the reciva site but has not updated since tuesday last week.
February 24, 2009 08:02PM
robert8217 wrote:

also having problems with updating Radio 4 - Clare in the Community (which won't play even from BBC's own website). America Liberty, which plays OK from iplayer and from the reciva site but has not updated since tuesday last week.

I'm able to hear CITC thanks to digitaltoaster. Happy to forward link to you.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.